Tuesday, March 21, 2017

World Down Syndrome Day 2017

Today is World Down Syndrome Day, and at this point, I have to say I cannot help but remember my good friend, year-long roommate, and friend and "disability brother" Tyler Weekly. I would have a photo collage of all our selfies and pictures from our trip to Florida together if not for technological issues, but I will have it, and I will say that I (and all our number of great mutual friends) remember all that he is-the guy who I go to see movies where works at AMC in Olathe ...and can get me in-and then teases me when I cry during Passengers, how we spend nights watching plays at Starlight Theater where he is an usher captain, how he will spend the night while we watch The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and I will read him some of the books of Buddhist legends and folk tales I have and share with him stories from the autistic people, get to see him at the Spring Down Syndrome prom every year, who I saw Dr. Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Moana, The Accountant, Sing, The Great Will, The Lego Batman Movie, and Hidden Figures-for which I still have all the ticket stubs, and how he will always dream big, challenge me to go on with whatever I am doing, and, above all, remind me of why I love life so much. Seeing him will make me so glad that all the progress for people with Down syndrome that has happened and all that is in the process of happening, as well as that with autistic people and those with other disabilities.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Ben,

    The new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers has such a great range of characters now. Hope you two have a wonderful time.

    Wow! That was a great list of films. I think the only one I hadn't known about on that list was The Great Will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful! Thanks for letting me know. I have not yet heard that much about the new Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, but he and I are looking forward to it all. We love seeing all these films. Thank you for giving me all of that to look forward to, and well-wishes, and everything.

      Ben

      Delete
  2. Hello again I have not read this one yet but now since I have there are such many things that I want to do with my best dissability bro pal and one of the things that I always dreamed when I was younger is to be a CEO of my own nonprofit company someday life brings many challenges and mysteries and I have seen all of the seasons of the power rangers there is so far there are so many special interests I have and I want to share them to others and of my special interests is to meet with celebrities and to have fun and hang out with and probably to grow a very special relationship with someone like that and I really do have a real connection to Selena gomez with one of personal best friends Nicole Javanna Johnson that works with MAX schneider and that MAX is in Javanna productions as well and Knows Selena Gomez as well and MAX schneider went to the same High School with Nicole Javanna Johnson in New York City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Tyler that you re headed for mny special reltionships in your life like the one you give me and deepen my ability to have, and, please, do not believe tht your faith when it comes to disabled people is nything less than driving and inspiring, just like your idea for a non-profit company

      Delete